Saturday 7 April 2012

blackout

While most of you are settling into the long easter weekend, here its just another Saturday/Sunday. Greek Orthodox celebrate easter next weekend so I have to wait a little longer for my 4 days off. However I am getting into the easter spirit, scoffing down my first cadburys cream egg of the season. I have forgotten how ridiculously yummy they are. It was gone in a couple of seconds. Now either they are getting smaller, or I need to eat a bit slower.

News from our lovely island this week....well on Wednesday we woke up without electricity, which made getting ready for work a more interesting process. In fact the whole island awoke to a blackout thanks to the shutdown of generators in Larnaca, which since the explosion at the power station last year, have been keeping the island ticking over. Its a rather long and complicated story as to how we are actually getting power here on the island, one that I will not even try to explain (but feel free to read the article from the Cyprus Mail, here). To be honest I dont know how we are still in this situation between light and possible dark, but the blackout on Wednesday just shows how unpredictable it is. Fingers crossed we wont be enduring the daily power cuts we suffered last summer....I dont think I can survive without the air conditioning.

Especially since its already started warming up here. This week has been so hot, that the boots have been pushed to the back of the wardrobe and I am even contemplating a pedicure incase the sandals make an outing sooner than expected. And considering its April, 30 degrees and 3pm is kind of hot lets say. Maybe this is a sign we are going to have a longer, hotter, dryer summer. I can already hear the beach calling..........Or maybe we will go the way of England and it will rain........lets hope for my sake its the first one.





No comments:

Post a Comment