Sunday 9 October 2011

What happens when it hits 40?

When its 40 degrees in the afternoon there's not much you can do except sweat! August was possibly the hardest month of our time in Cyprus, mainly because the temperatures continued to climb and for the duration of the month my blood boiled. You all know how much I LOVE the sunshine and considering im an English girl, I can handle the heat. But I found my limit and for future reference, it's 40 degrees.

Obviously living in Cyprus, the sunshine and the heat are expected. And it's not like it was a shock. But there's a difference between being on holiday in those temperatures and trying to live a normal life in those temperatures. When night time temperatures dont drop below 25 degrees and day time temperatures are uncomfortable to say the least, you really have to live like a local. Now there was definitely a moment somewhere in the middle of August where I have to say, I went slightly crazy. I dont know if it was the overwhelming abundance of sunshine, the scorching temperatures or the high humidity but my brain melted. And for a moment (albeit a fleeting one) I wondered whether we could actually (physically) live in Cyprus. I mean when your in the car at 3.55p.m. and the outside temperature is 40 degrees you really have to wonder if winter will ever come again.

Although you have an air conditioned home, an air conditioned car and an air conditioned office, just knowing that its hot enough to make scrambled eggs on the pavement is a little strange. While I sound melodramatic about it all, especially when you know i've spent the last few months enjoying that same weather on the beach, its a whole different story when your in the city and trying to work, shop, clean, walk the dog and in general, just think.

But we survived and dare I say it, im actually looking forward to Winter!! The temperatures have started to drop and its a pleasant average of 28 degrees. The air conditioning has become almost redundant and for the first time since June, I squeezed myself into some skinny jeans on Saturday. I've even been wearing....wait for it....a CARDIGAN!!

So for any potential visitors, a little warning; if you cant handle the heat, do not visit in August.

No comments:

Post a Comment