Thursday 30 December 2010

induction day.

I get ridiculously nervous. It's a fact. About interviews, about meetings, about university presentations, and about induction days apparently. Honestly, I woke up this morning thinking I was going to be sick I was so nervous. I don't know why I get so nervous; there is no rational explanation for it. But it put me off my frosties this morning.

Today was technically my first day of work; although I didn't do much work. The aim of today was to listen, observe and ask questions. I have been to my new office twice already, for my first interview with HR and the International Business Development Manager, and for my second interview with the General Manager. And while I have survived two rounds of interviews, and have been offered the job, I still felt nervous today. Moving to another country has not been easy, and its fair to say my new unfamiliar surroundings, my lack of the lingo and (until now) my lack of employment possibilities have all knocked my confidence a little.
image from gettyimages.com

So this morning, with hair, make-up and my new ZARA trousers, I headed off to work. After a couple of hours with my manager, where he went through general information about the company, and a lot of explanations about various credit reports, industry reports, background checks, KYC, databases and computer systems, it was upstairs to the main office. For those of you that went to Solent University, imagine the group area upstairs in the library, but nicer. Big glass windows, huge communal desks and some very comfortable leather office chairs.

An afternoon of observations later and my head was about to explode with information. I am now part of the International team, along with my manager and two other girls. They promise me I will understand everything in no time once I start, and I hope they are right. While our team is small, that's not the whole office. There is a Local team that deal with business in Cyprus, at the desk next to us, and other teams dotted about the floor. I was only there for a few hours today, but I already feel a bit more comfortable about it, and a bit more confident in my capability to do the job. And I have found a Cypriot who drinks PG tips. She seems like a girl after my own heart.

Roll on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment