Saturday 4 December 2010

To Elaborate.

Understandably and undeniably, homesickness has set in this week. While the sun continues to shine and my feet feel free in flip flops, my head is yearning for the cold (something I thought I would never say) and all things England. Don't get me wrong, Cyprus has been a SCREAM (a word Harry's mum uses a lot and has forced into my brain), and while I am thoroughly enjoying our new life here on the sunshine island, the christmas part of my brain is a tad confused that I'm not wading through snow, wearing mittens and pulling on my thermal vest.

We have been here for just over a month, time which seems to have flashed before my eyes, and my belly and my brain are starting to miss things. I miss work and the girls at Petit Bateau, I miss the regular buses and numerous forms of public transport, I miss my roast dinner being covered in gravy. I miss a good Chinese/Indian takeaway and I miss the British high street staples; WHSmith for my magazine addiction, Boots for my moisturiser addiction and Paperchase for my card addiction. 

To put it into context, the overwhelming bout of sudden homesickness is because I have that feeling in my stomach that tells me something is missing. As much as we have made our little (actually not so little) flat feel as homely as we can (at the moment), it isn't quite there yet. Its knowing that all my friends and family are quite far away and it's knowing that no one in Cyprus wants to give me a job just yet. 

It's not all bad and grumpy times ahead though; if I peer out of my homesickness bubble and take a look around I think the positives out-way the negatives. I am still wearing flip flops in December, my bed sheets dry in a matter of hours, there are sweet and confectionery products I've never seen before, and you can get a kebab from the bus station - one that won't give you a dodgy belly either! The architecture is unbelievable, both old or new, and the fruit market is as cheap as chips. I'm learning a new language (slowly), im experiencing a new culture, and i'm adapting to life in a different country - a country without pavements, with amazing bakeries and without a rain cloud in sight (I hope I didn't speak too soon!)

Homesickness (I hope) is just a phase.

No comments:

Post a Comment