Monday 14 November 2011

the drought is over

From the moment I woke up this morning, it has pretty much rained non stop. When I say rain, i'm not talking about the drizzle that envelops England on an [almost] daily basis. I mean strong, forceful monsoon like rain with drops the size of golf balls.  Trust me, I am not exaggerating or being melodramatic. It has been relentlessly pouring down all day, which made our motor-way journey somewhat slow and tedious and a little bit more dangerous than usual - Cypriots don't drive so well in dry weather let alone wet.

The weather in Cyprus is funny really. Seasons are limited to Summer and Winter and the temperature is either HOT or COLD. There seems to be no Spring or Autumn or "inbetween" weather that I got used to living in England for so long. And while it's wonderful knowing we live in country that experiences sunshine and dry conditions 90% of the year, it's that 10% that I dread. Because when it hits, Winter hurts.

So here we are. In winter. Which I guess is expected considering its mid November. But as you know my dislike for rain is never-ending. I could easily do without the wet feet and frizzy hair.

At this very moment in time, I can hear an orchestra of thunder and lightening, wind and the sound of heavy raindrops hitting the windows and don't even get me started on the marble floor tiles that feel like ice. Ok, cold I can do. In fact cold is nice after a long and hot summer. And it feels more like christmas is coming when you can see your breath.

But even Millie is depressed today with the wet weather conditions. Since living with us she has become a bit of a snob, enjoying the luxuries in life of food, a warm bed and not living in a cage [which is where her previous owners kept her]. She positively detest's walking when it's raining and tries in vain to keep her paws dry' she jumps over as many puddles as possible and will not even contemplate mud. Im not joking she will dig her claws into the ground so hard if she thinks we are going the muddy way! So rain is not her favourite feeling, she literally walked me earlier, pulling so hard on the lead in the direction of home.

Knowing the extreme weather conditions of Cyprus, we will awake tomorrow to blue sky and sunshine. [fingers crossed]


No comments:

Post a Comment