Sunday 6 November 2011

Football for Foreigners

Football in Cyprus is full of passion, rivalry and fireworks. A random addition I know, but fireworks and flares make a regular appearance at the football here. So firstly its important to say football in Cyprus is inextricably linked to politics; each football team has a different political stance and as such the rivalry between teams extends beyond the pitch and regularly boils down to opposing political opinions. 

And there is still the existence of somewhat hardcore football firms. Football here is no laughing matter it is so serious that the men at work will not speak for the whole day if their team looses. It is a passionate and powerful sport in Cyprus. 

I have always been more than a bit skeptical about football in Cyprus because from my previous experience, the antics of the football firms seem to out shine the actual game. 

As Adidas sponsor many of the footballers in Cyprus, Harry can get VIP tickets, so instead of staying home on my own on a Saturday afternoon, I went with him on the condition that he got me a hot chocolate. Apparently they only do coffee at football in Cyprus [I should've known really] but, as much as I fought against it, I did enjoy my football experience. 

Our team [when I say our I mean its the team Harry and the entire family support so I have no choice], Omonia were playing in Nicosia and they have a sizable football firm, who are very passionate. Their volume, energy and support for their team bounces around the rest of the stadium from their permanent location at stand 9. Seriously it's hard not to get caught up in the atmosphere. 

Now, I will probably not be a regular at the football [mainly because it was freezing] but the VIP seats were pretty nice. I could do football with a touch of class every so often. 




[own photographs]



No comments:

Post a Comment