Sunday 6 November 2011

fasolia

My Cypriot cooking isn't exactly my best skill. But one thing I have mastered is fasolia [beans]. I love them, but Harry hates them. However since he is away on a work trip, tonight was the perfect time to cook some up without inflicting them on him. I'm pretty sure every Cypriot women has her own way of cooking and while recipes are generally passed down through the family, everyone adds their own twist.

Harry's mum bought me the best Cypriot cooking book; one she used herself and while cooking lambs brain [I kid you not, this recipe is in there] isn't really my idea of a nice dinner, I have attempted a couple of recipes.

In true style I have made the recipe for fasolia my own, adding butternut squash and sweet potato to the basic recipe of onions, tomatoes and beans. And now the weather's turning cold and winters approaching, it's the sort of comfort food you need. In England I would make a shepherds pie, in Cyprus I make fasolia. And if I do say so myself it tastes amazing [although don't ask Harry for his opinion]. And its as cheap as chips....


No comments:

Post a Comment